Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday Book Update

I know you've been waiting with bated breath for a status update on my forthcoming adventure memoir Leadville or Bust.  I could feed your ravening hunger, but it's more fun to watch you salivate disgustingly. 

Just kidding!

Since I was sick all last week and unable to do my pretend adventuring so I could exaggerate how amazing my life is for your benefit (who’s really the more pathetic in this instance?) I thought I would give you a glimpse of the progress I’ve made in the past couple of weeks.

I've finished a full third draft of the book with the help of the Crash Test Librarian.  Now I've employed a few other friends to read through the book for continuity and coherence issues and general readability.  I'm hopeful that I can get impressions and suggestions back and incorporate them by the end of June.

There is no additional timeframe at this point.  My original timeline was to have the book finished and printed in time to take it to the Leadville 100 mountain bike race this year.  It's not going to happen because I've not maximized my time.  That's okay; I do have a scheme for next year.

I've also been pulling photos to use in the book.  I'm thinking one or two per chapter.  I have some original artwork for the front and rear covers.
And of course I’ve been rethinking the entire writing project.  Complete rewrite form scratch?  Leave out the introduction?  Change the title?  Fictionalize the whole thing and make my character a bulletproof hero?
Or just let the intestinal distress run its course and see what everyone else has to say?  Yeah, that’s probably wise.  And if the feedback I get dictates then perhaps there will be a major rewrite.  Or maybe not.
That’s where I’m at though.  With things quieting down somewhat at work my brain has been freed up a little to give some attention back to the book, and I’ve been able to make some progress. 
I’m still not feeling 100%, but I did bring the sporty-sport bike to work with me today in case I have a mid-morning full recovery.  If so I’m going to go out and see what kind of damage I can inflict upon the Grimes Mill climb Scott-at-the-bike-shop has been talking about.  Wish me survival!

No comments:

Post a Comment