Monday, September 29, 2014

Relinquish the Hiatus!


Are you still there?
Good!  The recent silence here was an attempt to weed out the riff raff.  For those three or four of you who have stayed be prepared to be dazzled.  The best is yet to come.
The fourth draft is completed; though I wouldn’t say finished necessarily.  Believe it or not I’m already starting to throw down ideas for the second Leadville book.  I don’t really feel like the story is over.  There is no belt buckle in the tale, and I’ve hinted around that one of these days I’m going to run a hundred mile race.
One thing the Rugged Red convinced me of is despite my inherent mediocrity and lack of corporate sponsorships that as I move into my forties I do have the potential to excel at endurance racing.  I don’t have to do a lot of events—I’ve got plenty of private schemes to keep me happy—but there are two ultra events that whisper to me: the Cloudsplitter 100 in Kentucky and the Leadville 100. 
There is no timeline for either path.  It is conceivable that I could force culmination of either story angle as early as 2015.  I’ve learned that sometimes the patience to let the process take its course is as much a part of the endurance event as the physical part of it.  Sometimes you need long periods of time to truly develop the mental and physical fortitude to succeed.  Time is not a bad thing.
That’s saying a lot coming from me.  I am one of the most impatient people you’ll ever meet.  I have passed cars on the shoulder on the interstate.  Once.  Maybe twice.  And I was much younger!  But impatience is as much a part of me as the energetic drive to do these crazy things on trails. 
In the woods behind the house I have a trail that I’ve been working on for over a year.  It started out as a mountain bike trail but stalled when I took up this mantle of running.  Well, technically it stalled when the ground froze last winter and I just never started back on it in the spring.  I’ve made a little progress late this summer and through the fall intend to get it into good shape for running.  I can morph it into a mountain bike trail over time.  It’s three quarters of a mile long with about a hundred feet of gain in a single loop.  It rolls with the terrain adding a little elevation to the overall net.  As we settle into the long winter to come I know I’ve got a quick go-to place to get my running in.  I can stay off the roads.  I can run in the dark and feel safe.  And I can continue on into the wilderness of Kaincaid Mountain and its system of old logging roads and obscure ATV trails.  I have my running playground already at hand.
Fall is upon us.  I haven’t been a regular rock climber since 2005.  But each year when the weather cools and the leaves start to fall I pine to be one again.  I’m not in shape, but maybe this is the year I/we get back on the rock.  The kids are finally old enough to either enjoy it or not, but they aren’t too small to drag around through the woods anymore.  I was obsessed with rock climbing for a long time, but I truly did enjoy it.  I truly do miss doing it.
I have a few other announcements I want to make and things I want to pontificate about, but I need to get back into the swing of things.  The past few weeks I just let the blog lay fallow.  There wasn’t much to say and I really needed a short break.  If you couldn’t tell from this post I’ve also been struggling with things to write about.
Mandy’s Iron Horse is coming up quick.  I’ve tried to forget about the Cloudsplitter because I don’t want to overshadow her needs going into that race.  I find it hard to completely forget about it.  The Rugged Red definitely whetted my appetite for trail running, and I want to get an idea what the Cloudsplitter is like for next year.  I’m not saying I’ll be running a 100 mile race a year from now, but I’m planning on being able to run a 50k or 50 mile race by then.
Things have been evolving to the point where I may not be able to run the Rugged Red next year.  Right now it’s up in the air.  More on that in weeks to come.  If I don’t it won’t be because I haven’t trained or can’t run.  It won’t be because I don’t want to.  No, there are loftier things afoot.
Anyway, I hope to try and return to a more regular posting schedule.  I’m not just yet committing to a five day a week regime.  I still want to put more energy into my broader writing pursuits.  If I’m ever going to be a paid published author I need to be developing that aspect of my writing.

"Forest Fire"
 

2 comments:

  1. Happy to read what you post, when you post it. No worries. So much going on and so little time. I can certainly relate. Can't wait for the final version and I can see a volume 2 as well.

    Keep up the good work, both fitness related and writing related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel! Time is the real currency in my life.

      Delete