Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Crowding the Fire


It seems like I’ve got forty irons in the fire and keep inadvertently putting more in all the time.  I don’t know how to rein it back in I guess.  I’ve been trying to pare away the dead skin.  I’ve been trying even to cut into the living fat and make the whole animal more lean and nimble.  Some days it all seems futile.
Ah, I’m moaning because winter derailed my Yamacraw aspirations.  I’ve not been able to run as much as I needed to have the miles behind me to carry me through my first ultra.  So be it.  I’ve got six weeks still and no excuses.  I don’t believe we can still suffer any lingering winter effects.  It all has to go.  Last week I finally got on the road.  Twenty three miles I ran last week.  That’s not as much as I would like, but it’s a darn sight better than I have managed the previous two weeks. 
I blew off Saturday for some unknown reason.  Laziness.  “Aspirations to write.”  I don’t know…maybe even a bite of apathy thrown in.
Sunday I couldn’t ignore the looming necessity to tick off some miles.  I’ve amended my training plan with a Flying Pig target instead of the onerous 50k bullseye I don’t think I can hit at this point.  That meant instead of running twenty two miles I needed to run fourteen.  Seems reasonable, right?  I mean, I have recently run a half marathon distance and my last trail run (the prologue for the Snowpocalypageddon) was eleven miles.
One of the main factors that have kept me off the roads recently has been the piles of snow and frozen slush which have been lining the roads and narrowing the lanes.  It’s been harrowing in a car driving around as local drivers haven’t shown much consideration for the conditions and have resumed to driving full speed on the county road I live on.  I don’t have much trust or faith in humanity when it comes to sharing the road.  I’m not going to mince words either.  Most people don’t take driving seriously enough.
 

The climb on the east side of Tharpe Ridge
 
Nearby and sunny Paint Creek
 
Anyway, Sunday I felt good about going out for a long run over to town, out Maple Street, over Tharpe Ridge and onto Paint Creek.  It went well.  In fact, it was quite warm in the sun.  I was dressed in a t-shirt and running shorts and sweated like a snowhog.  I was encouraged to see a family of four walking along Paint Creek, seemingly for the unadulterated heck of it.  I saw a few other people out walking or following kids on bikes or walking dogs.  Despite the lingering evidence of the recent winter obliteration people were defiantly enjoying the spring-like weather.
Believe it or not I’m itching to ride my bike these days.  I can hardly believe it myself.
Maybe with the increase in solar exposure my brain will start functioning like the rabid wolverine of obsession it has in the past.  Lord help us all!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment