Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Reports of My Injurious Ruin Have Been Greatly Exaggerated


Technology.  It sucks.  In ye olden days we just got by.  If you needed to talk to someone you talked to someone or gave them a call.  Maybe you wrote them a letter if they didn’t live in the same town as you and what you had to say wasn’t urgent (“Please return my cat, asap.”)
The past few weeks I’ve grumbled over my “smart” phone and strongly resisted the urge to smash it down to its constituent atoms.  Things that should be simple simply aren’t.  I can’t download apps.  I can’t access my work email.  I can’t do this and can’t do that.
Finally, yesterday I got into the office and thought I would be able to get things straightened out.  We had a cyber-attack.  Ransom and everything apparently.  I couldn’t get anything done in the office so I ran a couple of impromptu meetings.  In the end it was a productive day, but I’ve stalled out on things I need to push off my desktop.
I’ve sat down three different times since last week to compose a blog post and have been unable to get more than 300 words.  Today I am going off the cuff and just going to post what I manage to post.
My knee is fixed.  I had been having more and more trouble with it.  The pain and weakness in the joint had become debilitating.  And it was so gradual it took me a little while to realize how bad it had become.  I found myself strolling up and down stairs (I’m normally a three at a time kinda guy).  My heart and mind wanted bike rides but my body resisted all urges to get out.  Running was out of the question.  When I tried I was managing two miles and feeling “good” about the effort.  I was dreading sessions with the trainer (yeah, we hire a trainer now).  When he would have us do stuff on the floor I struggled to return to an ambulatory state.  In fact, I felt precariously ambulatory at best most of the time.
While I’m not back in full tilt mode I am back.
It was like magic.  If my turnaround had happened in church I would have been convinced it was a miracle.  It was much simpler than divine intervention however.  And silly that I ever got to the state I was in.
At a KYMBA board of directors meeting I was talking to a fellow board member and whining about my knee pain.  He asked where it hurt and I pointed to the spot(s).  He asked if I had been stretching my hamstrings.  I stared at him in dumb silence.  Of course I hadn’t been stretching my hamstrings.  I had picked up a slew of nifty stretches that felt oh-so-good but had dropped that stretch out of my routine for the sake of my impatient mind.  For months I had not been incorporating hamstring stretches into my post-workout routine.
That was the Sunday night before the conference in Knoxville.  I can’t remember if I stretched Sunday night after I checked into the hotel (I think I did), but I know I stretched a few times Monday.  By Monday evening the debilitating pain was gone.  G-O-N-E gone.
Now, it was not a miraculous cure in the sense that I have absolutely no knee pain.  I’m back to what was an expected and somewhat normal level of pain in both knees from before the decline.  But that pain is manageable to the point of being forgettable. 
The other incredible side effect is that my energy levels seemed to have skyrocketed, and I don’t feel as sluggish and stiff all the time in a general sense.  
Let me just say…getting old sucks.  Stuff like this never used to happen to me.  I could go full tilt for weeks on end and suffer no such maladies.  But these days the slightest hiccup in my routine shuts down the amusement park until I find the gremlin causing the sparks.
I shouldn’t complain too much.  I’m back on track.  While I’m not down to a reasonable fighting weight I am hopeful for the upcoming Kentucky Point Series race in Cave Run on Saturday.  It’ll be an exploratory ride back into the world of mountain bike racing.  We’ll see how it goes.
The weather is supposed to be nice today.  I brought the Simply Simple Bike to Lex with me and intend to subject it to laps at Veep. 
It’s good to be back into the land of the living.

No comments:

Post a Comment