Monday, May 2, 2016

Bike Month 2016


May is Bike Month.  I hesitate to put an exclamation point at the end of that sentence.  I feel left out of the cycling realm these days.  When I do ride it’s on the mountain bike.   My cargo bike is down.  And I just flat out snub my road bike.  I keep saying I’m going to get back on it, but I keep not doing it.  Time is the limiting factor.  But Cobhill calls.
Spring rains have moved in.  That makes for a miserable cyclist planning to log some good miles to get back into the swing of things.  Sigh.  Mountain biking is out for at least a few days.  The river is out of its banks so trails are also likely to be flooded. 
Anyway, May IS Bike Month.  I’ve joined the Bike Lexington Challenge.  I’ve resolved to ride more.  And I really just need to suck it up and put the hydraulic brakes on the Cannonball.  Then it’ll be ambulatory again.  As far as riding to work I just need to pick the next good day and commit to doing it.  I’ve done it before.  I can do it again. 
 
I miss riding.  I know I don’t show it, but I really do.  I dreamed last night that I was hired as the Executive Director of the Red River Gorge Cimbers Coalition (I won’t apply IRL because it’s only a part time position) and I was able to bike commute.  Which is weird because I think in reality the person will work from home.
I guess now is as good a time as any to make my big announcement.  I’m not the Regional Transportation Planner at the Bluegrass ADD anymore.  I have moved…up.  A while back there were conversations in which we discussed the need for a regional bike-ped planner/coordinator/advocate/champion.  Of course the lack of money to create a new position was the limiting factor there.  But at the ADD the willingness existed to explore this as a possibility. 
When it became necessary to consider bringing on another land use planner (because we have a higher demand in that realm) the conversation turned again to how we could incorporate a focus on bicycle-pedestrian and trails planning into the position.  Technically I am now a land use planner.  But I’ve been given the unofficial green light to call myself the Bicycle-Pedestrian & Trails Planner.  I guess I could tack on “Regional” to the front of that train for maximum pretentiousness and accuracy. 
So May is BIKE MONTH.  Take that.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment