Friday, June 17, 2016

Ramming Speed Friday: Overcompensation Edition

The gun debate.  Every time I post something on Facebook that is remotely gun related I get a $#!+ storm of comments and arguments.  People get fired up if you suggest that maybe someone should have their dangerous toy taken away.  I just don’t understand. 

One friend made the point that if you are (legitimately) on a “no fly” list then you shouldn’t be able to buy a gun.  Or if you have a history of violence, mental health issues, or make comments indicating that you’re planning to shoot up the Piggly Wiggly.  And he marvels that this is a point of contention.  I agree.  Guns aren’t so sacred that we can’t even discuss that maybe some people shouldn’t have ready access to them.  In my estimation a lot of people shouldn’t have ready access to them.  Or cars.  Or sharp knives.  A lot.

Anyway, another friend tries to play devil’s advocate by asking “what if your life was threatened every day?”  I replied, but a later reply from the first friend was: “it wouldn't change my conviction that crazy people and suspected terrorists shouldn't have legal access to guns.”  Again, I agree with him 100%.  My earlier reply to the advocation of demonic slant was: “In 42 years I've never felt like I needed a gun for protection. Not one single minute of one single day.”

Maybe my life has been charmed.  But I think the reality is that I have a clear perspective on the matter.  Guns won’t solve any of my problems in life.  I avoid situations where I might feel threatened, and I’ve never needed a gun to prove a point.  I also feel comfortable with the size of my penis.  To go slightly down that rabbit hole…that’s also why I’m comfortable driving a Honda Civic and not a diesel pickup truck with chrome wheels and fake nards hanging off the bumper.

But I digress.

I think it’s time we grew up as a nation.  I think it’s time we stopped letting the teeny-peckered elite dictate what’s best for the nation.  We can keep kicking this ball back and forth long after its deflated and ripped to shreds and everyone is bored.  But in the meantime more people will be killed in places where they didn’t expect to die.  Like schools.  Like grocery stores.  Like nightclubs.  Like churches.  

So we can keep bickering back and forth while people die and never admit that the answer is easy and the answer is already right before us.  We just need to look at the nations with the lowest gun violence fewest mass shootings and ask them how they did it.

I bet they stopped worrying about the size of their dicks and moved on to grown up things like paying bills and mowing the lawn.  At least that’s what reasonable and mature people would do.


2 comments:

  1. Well said. Same age as you and have never felt like I needed a gun. I hope I never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I feel like I need a gun then things will have gotten pretty bad.

      Delete