Friday, January 20, 2017

Ramming Speed Friday: Time Enough Edition


It’s hard to top my last post.  I’m not saying that to toot my own horn, but instead to expound on the fact that my ride that day is still haunting my daydreams.  It was just a good time out in the woods and the blog post is there to remind me of just how enjoyable that day was.

This past week has been full to overflowing with race planning.  The Red River Gorge MTB 100 is off and running!  My lovely and amazing wife put together a budget.  We’re shuffling paperwork all around the state trying to get things in order.  We have a venue lined up for the start/finish/awards and to act as a base of operations.  We have entertainment lined up.  And I finally nailed down the route.

I won’t be sharing the route too soon.  Instead I’ll be sharing training rides.  There is a good reason for this.  I’m not ready to explain at this time.  But it’s the best route the area can yield.  I’m certain of it.  I hope over time we’ll be able to improve upon it and make the race even better.
 
 

That’s what I’m focusing on right now: putting on the best race I possibly can.

So we’re moving ahead at ramming speed.  While it seems like we have plenty of time it’s really only eight and a half months away.

And then one day you’ll find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Ten years.  Our youngest turns ten in a few days.  She’s excited about the double digits.  She feels like she’s hit the big time.  That’s kind of exciting.  I’m not the type of parent that mourns the passing of my offspring’s childhood.  We’ve not squandered our time with the kids as kids.  We’ve not spent too much time focused on the “important things” while leaving them to the care of others.  While I say that I will also emphasize that I could spend more time with my kids.  And lately it seems I’ve had more opportunities to have conversations with the thirteen (nearly fourteen) year old.  He’s really not a kid anymore.  He’s smarter than most adults I know and has a grasp of things that absolutely blows me away.  I mean, he’s likely to burn the house down trying to heat up a burrito before he graduates high school, but he’s really got a depth of knowledge about the physical world and of history that most full grown people I know don’t.  He’s like Einstein with his shoelaces.

What scares me is that I absolutely failed to find the direct route to opportunity myself.  I’m not sure I have a clue how to guide my children to a smoother path in life than I have trod.  I don’t want my kids to have all of the things I never had a child.  I want them to have a better experience transitioning into adulthood than I had.  Except…I have no experience doing it well, and of course I can’t go back and practice.  All I can say is “learn from my mistakes.”

The hardest thing for me is to decide what were true mistakes and what were things society would regard as mistakes.  I’m not one to abide by conventional thinking for its own sake.  I like to question things and make my own decisions.  Some people would view that approach as a mistake in and of itself.  I would like to tell them to do something sexually difficult to themselves.

You’ll notice I haven’t mentioned the inauguration.  And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment