Friday, January 6, 2017

Ramming Speed Friday: Using Mass Instead of Velocity


This week I have returned to running.  I ran Tuesday and Wednesday three miles each day.  I ran at the Stanton and Clay City parks respectively.  The Clay City Park’s new walking path was the allure for Wednesday’s run.  I wasn’t really feeling it, it was a bit cold, but in the end I decided it was worth going down and spinning a few laps around the park.  I was involved in the grant process for the trail though I wasn’t the grant writer.  Basically I made the made for the application and obtained the permits from Division of Water and the Army Corps of Engineers for the construction.

So it was nice to go out and run on the nice paved trail around the park.  It’s just shy of half a mile but close enough.  The section that runs along the river is nice.  And the river was flowing pretty high.  That will lead to the one downfall of the trail: when it floods it will need to be cleaned off.  Hopefully it will stand up to the rigors of a Red River flood.

Anyway, I felt good though neither run was fast.  But the fact that I can go do a 5k off the couch and not feel wrecked the next day makes me feel pretty good.  So what if I didn’t hit a PR?

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm! Those milk sandwiches are tasty!  We got a little snow beginning on Thursday.  The drive in this morning was winter-esque but not so bad.  Of course I drive a Jeep now too—for the first time in my life I have a 4WD—and there wasn’t a lot of traffic.  It’s still stressful to drive in snowy weather.  And making the forty-five mile commute even on a good day is tiresome.  A couple of days ago as I pulled into the parking lot at work I realized that the commute had taken quite a bit of mental energy.  I really just wanted to turn around and go home.  It’s akin to my Colorado bike commuting days when I said as I approached the building I just wanted to ride right on past and into the mountains for the day.  Back then I said “too much work; not enough commute.” Now maybe the motto is “too much work; too much commute.”

I’m not saying I don’t want to work. Really I’m not.  But the time commitment for working far from home is a drain on your life energy.  The stress of being in the car in traffic degrades your quality of life and the associated stress diminishes life expectancy.  It’s not the work itself that’s so stressful; it’s the associated absurdities of living in modern American.    

This is a problem I can’t continue to ignore in my life.  I need to find an acceptable solution to this conundrum.  Most people would say the solution is simple: move closer to work.  It’s not that simple though.  Because of decades of land use shenanigans in the name of our state’s showpiece mammals property is expensive in the counties neighboring Lexington.  I live two counties away in the shadow of Central Appalachia.  As a sensory defensive the thought of living IN Lexington makes me ill.  I honestly don’t know how I survived Denver for five years.  Heck, it’s too noisy on the creek I live on in the rural part of a rural county.  My only real means of escape is to retreat to the woods.

Anyway, winter is fully upon the land.  On one hand I’m happy because I love playing in the snow.  On the other I’m anxious for the shoddy weather ahead I’ll be forced to commute through.  Such is life.

We didn’t get quite enough to make it worth my while to drag the new Pine Mountain out into it with its plus-sized tires.  Well, it’s always worth getting the bike out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment