Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Monday of All Tuesdays


I could start out the new year by waxing poetic about all the things I will do in the coming year.  Well, things I want to do in the coming year…  I could start out by spewing hope and change and give Donnie a chance.  I obviously won’t do that.  I’m sitting in my cubicle on the first work day of the year in the pre-coworkers dark of the office.  I want this year to be different.

Last year I changed the subtitle of this blog to “less gadgets, more game.”  I think this year I’m going to live by those words.  I have too much clutter in my life.  I look at too many screens.  I am too easily distracted by comfort and ease.  In short, I want to get off my ass and move.

I’ll have to admit, the thought of putting on a one hundred mile mountain bike race is daunting.  I have faith that we can pull it off, but I also know the road ahead is going to be rough and rocky at times.  I think in the end it’ll be worth it.  The thought of continuing to plug along building mountain bike trails with little help and moving at the speed of smell is a bit disheartening.  Though, to be fair, I think 2017 will be the year we hit critical mass and things take off.  I need that.  I need to get the rocket in orbit and then let someone else take the helm. 

Again and again I keep coming back to the thought: I don’t want to be the guy driving these things but I’m sick and tired of no one else doing anything about the situation.  And the situation is that there is so much opportunity it hurts but nothing is getting done.  I don’t want to build mountain bike trails—I want to ride mountain bike trails.  And I live in an area with soils and terrain that would allow for year round riding.  My area could be a winter destination for a lot of people.

Then I think: do I really want more people to come here?  I tend to prefer when less human traffic is moving about.  I was once a persistent advocate for bringing on the apocalypse post haste.  I don’t know—maybe I’m okay with bringing more mountain bikers and other human powered recreationalist to somewhat displace the internal combustion crowd.  Then I think about the hordes of rock climbers that come here.  It’s a ravening herd of idiocy that.  For the most part.  I’m still not sure why Natural Selection continues to turn a blind eye to the shenanigans that go on in the RRG most weekends.  And I’m not really talking about just rock climbers.  Pretty much every user group represented needs a little culling.  I jest. 
 
Except maybe hammockers
 
This winter looks like it’s going to be wet.  Winter in Kentucky is the Season of Mud.  This winter is likely going to be normal to above normal.  I think it’s time to get back on the road bike.  It’s time to run and hike more.  And when the weather is agreeable I think it’s time to get back to rock climbing.  Winter really is the best climbing season.  There are fewer people and there are no bugs, snakes, and the humidity doesn’t cause your pores to gush sweat.  All the pests are absent.

I plan on signing up for the Mohican this year.  I’ll only do the 100k, but I know I need a distance event to train for.  I’m hoping for a better showing at the Point Series races and 12 Hour of CVP this year.  But in the end I just want to be active and enjoy the activities. 

The other thing is that as a family we want to shift back to the lifestyle we were cultivating just before we moved back to Kentucky and were derailed.  I’m going to get the cargo bike fixed up again and start riding it for all of my short trips.  We live two miles from town.  There’s absolutely no reason to be driving as much.  Well, except for Steamshovel Hill.  Just that one reason…

Our values are still more green than greenbacks.  The derailment came in the midst of the stress and turmoil of moving twelve hundred miles unexpectedly and trying to reintegrate ourselves into a culture we never thought we’d be part of again.  Slowly but surely we’re regaining the ground we lost in the move.

Of course I fully expect that about the time we hit our mark Trump will bring about World War III. 

No comments:

Post a Comment