Thursday, March 23, 2017

Unscheduled Thursday Posts Can Be Fun Too


Facebook has this thing: On This Day.  I kinda like it.  It lets you see the odd rhythms of the years.  It shows patterns in life you wouldn’t otherwise see.  For example…
Four years ago in Clark County

Three years ago in the Gorge.  I miss this.
Time to dust off the ol' Dogrunner!
On March 23, 2013 I did a 46 mile bike ride from my sister’s house where we were staying around through Clark County and Montgomery County and back.  Then on 3/23/14 was the infamous “true love is letting the dog bite you instead of your wife” ride through the Gorge with Mandy and Casey Mozer. 
Fresh dog bite
I probably won’t manage a 45+ mile ride this evening, though I’m chomping at the bit to get out and pull down some big numbers again.  Was a time in my life 60 or 70 miles was off the couch easy and standard.  There was a time that I wouldn’t bother with a mere 20 mile ride because it just wasn’t long enough to engage my interest.
 
With mountain biking that’s different.  Obviously.  Mandy and Lily and I rode just shy of three mile the other night on Tarr Ridge; the Dark Hollow side.  While I would have cranked out at least the six of the 77 trails had I been by myself it was enjoyable to spend time with my ladies in the woods.  Lily just can’t keep up on trails at this point.  I think she has the fitness but the wrong bike.  Though…she does seem to have grown into her six speed Specialized.  I think maybe I should do some one on one work with her and see if we can’t coach her to better enjoyment.  A good kids clinic would do wonders for her J
 Maybe Mandy and I or I alone will get out tonight and skim some pavement.  I have also realized I can do my afternoon rides and grab some miles without getting on the main roads around town during the evening rush.  I’m not sure why I didn’t see it before, but the next time I go out alone I’m going to do this ride, and I’ll be sure to share here on the back alley wall of the internet.
The weekend looks promising as well.  I’ll not give away the surprise, but Monday’s report might be worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment