Monday, July 10, 2017

Playing Cat Soup


I’m still here.  I’ll always be here.  It’s not that I haven’t had plenty to write about, but that I’ve not had time to sit down and write.  I’ve been traveling the world.  Seeing the sites.  Experiencing life.  It’s been good.
The depression has been dormant for some time now.  Mandy and I have been going to acupuncture for about six weeks now minus the week we were in Mountain Time Zone and that pretty well corresponds to my improved mood and outlook, I can’t say one hundred percent that the acupuncture is responsible, but I’m definitely feeling better in muscle and bone so it follows that maybe the pokies have had an influence on my noggin as well.
Instead of giving you a blow by blow of our recent trip to Colorado I’m going to real fast hit the high points.  First, even before we reached the mountainous state where once we abode we were discussing the possibility of moving back.  I think we would both love to move back.  We also realize the benefit to staying in Kentucky where the cost of living is so much cheaper.  But there are other pros and cons to weigh in that discussion, and I don’t really want to dwell too deeply in them right now.  Suffice it to say we’re not packing boxes right now and likely won’t for some time if ever.
The drive out went well.  Our two monkeys and the Giant Nephew endured twenty hours of road tripping well.  We rolled into Denver on Sunday morning.  It was good because we were able to attend church where we used to go and see old friends again.  Quickly our schedule began filling up with dinner dates for the week we were going to be there.
On Monday I woke up feeling the hard effects of altitude.  It took a couple of hours and a decent breakfast burrito before I felt up to moving around.  Mandy and our spawn hung around town and visited a museum while I took the Giant up to Boulder where we rented two full suspension Specialized Cambers and took them first to Betasso Preserve and then finished up the day at Valmont Bike Park until we were just too tired to pedal anymore.
Minds reeling at Betasso Preserve

 
Old Towne Arvada

Clear Creek Whitewater Park, Golden

Golden
 
On Tuesday we drove up to Rocky Mountain National Park.  We bought an annual park pass and drove up Trail Ridge Road.  We reenacted the infamous Marshmallow Cream Incident but with mayonnaise.  You try purchasing a whipped or fluffy food product at sea level and then opening it above 10,000’ and you’ll totally understand.
Buying the pass felt like a political statement.  It rankles that it does, but if that’s what it takes…
RMNP view

Hiking at Flatirons Vista
 
On Wednesday my conference in downtown Denver started and while the family slummed around the Greater Denver area I rode the light rail (finally!) from Golden into Denver and hit the sessions.
We made the most of a whirlwind trip as we are wont to do.  I didn’t take as many photos as I usually would on such a trip.  That was mainly because I have gigs of digital images of the area and while there was a lot of new stuff to see nothing jumped out much as being photoworthy.  I was distracted anyway.
We had a good time and the kids seemed to as well.  We took the long way home.  I had always wanted to drop south into New Mexico and come across Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee.  The longer drive turned longer and longer, but it was a good deviation and we’re glad we did it. 
Memphis, TN

Nashville, TN

Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, TX
 
 
Last week was hectic and short with the holiday.  I don’t feel like I accomplished much at work even though I was pretty busy hitting meetings around the district.  I’m hopefully in the office most of this week and can make progress on things I really need to get done.
 

Fireworks on 4th of July at Patriot Days in Clay City
 
And speaking of…the RRGMTB100 is creeping up on us.  I’m trying to get pieces moved closer to being in place and trying to work through things.  I had a brief moment of panic over the weekend, but I swallowed it down with the resolve to get busy and make it work.
I had been despairing on my efforts in Bald Rock, but after a meeting with the BOD of the Climbers Coalition I feel much better.  Another (alternate really) option for new trail development has opened up, and I look forward to exploring the terrain after the race has passed and the seasons cool.
There’s so much I want to write about but can’t.  Schemes.  Life developments.  Ponderances.  Just not now.  It’s better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment