Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Trump'd Up


Recently Trump addressed the Boy Scouts of America’s National Jamboree.  It was the same rambling drivel he’s come to be known for, lacking in coherence or true relevance to anyone other than Donald J. Trump.  His narcissism is painted bald on his face.  It vomits from his mouth in an endless torrent of sludge.  The fact that he gave a polarizing political rally speech to a group that does not take or promote political sides is telling.   That the whole affair smacked of Hitler rallying his Youth was chilling. 
I was a Boy Scout.  In fact, I’m an Eagle Scout.  My original Eagle Scout ID card was signed by George H.W. Bush.  When the hoopla over Trump’s Jamboree speech began, I remembered that I was present for Bush’s address to the Jamboree in 1989 at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.  My troop attended the Jamboree and that trip was my one and only visit to the nation’s capital.  We made the most of that trip and visited so many places in D.C. and the surrounding area.  It left a lasting impression on me, and I will say as a fifteen-year-old I had almost no political consciousness at that time.  Heck, I had no idea Bush was a republican, and if I had I sure didn’t know what that meant.
Fast forward twenty-eight years.   I’m appalled by the politicization of a Scouting event.  That Trump took political advantage of an opportunity to inspire the Scouts and their leaders and families is deplorable.  Instead of building them up he just poisoned the water even more.  And I’m sure there were plenty of people in that crowd that were near orgasmic over being able to listen to a sitting president and one that has given the middle finger to the political establishment. 
In my experience people who give the middle finger to anyone will give the middle finger to everyone.  Trump is no different.  He’s playing his own game.  He does not represent his supporter’s best interests.   He panders to them, but he isn’t addressing them with wisdom and care.  It’s hard to keep watching as so many people give him a free pass on the worst behavior, the worst practices, and the worst attitudes I’ve seen in my 43 years on the planet from an American president.
Trump is the honorary president of the B.S.A.  He doesn’t understand the significance of that or what Scouting means to so many people.
The first thing you learn as a Boy Scout is the Boy Scout Oath:
On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.
The next thing you learn—which is reinforced throughout the time you’re in the organization—is the Scout Law:
A Scout is:
  • Trustworthy,
  • Loyal,
  • Helpful,
  • Friendly,
  • Courteous,
  • Kind,
  • Obedient,
  • Cheerful,
  • Thrifty,
  • Brave,
  • Clean,
  • and Reverent.
I would say that Trump is probably clean as he appears well groomed most of the time.  Beyond that I don’t believe he exhibits a single other attribute of the Scout Law nor does he really seem to understand the value in any of those traits.

2 comments:

  1. He's clean, I've no doubt, because he's a germophobe. But there are lots of clean people. As for the rest of the list, he is no example to the Scouts or anyone else. His behavior has been deplorable both before and after the election, and as you've stated, no one is holding him accountable for his actions and words, which is telling of our U.S. representatives, regardless of their political affiliation. There are those speaking out, but the people who have the opportunity to address/correct the situation are not doing so. I don't know where this ends, but it's unfortunate that the American people are the ones suffering while this xenophobic, misogynistic, paranoid, liar destroys the foundation of this country and the connections with others around the world. Frankly, I'm not sure the U.S. can handle three and a half more years. This isn't a battle of conservative or liberal beliefs; this moves far beyond that realm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. I read an article on what constitutes American fascism ( http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/41423-fascism-and-the-denial-of-truth-what-henry-wallace-can-teach-us-about-trump ) and what is truly frustrating, frightening, and saddening is there are so many Trump supporters who I respect that would read the article and say that's just the media trying to undermine him and totally miss the point of the article where it speaks about erasing the truth Orwellian style.

      Delete